Monday, November 17, 2014

Individual Post #2

            In terms of research it has been difficult because whenever I google the author, Alberto Pedro Torriente, the little information found is in Spanish. I used the online catalog for Milner library and found an interview of him which talks about the play Manteca.  As I looked harder, I found more information. 
            Through my research, I have found out that Torriente was an actor with the Cubana d Acero and Teatro Politico Bertolt Brecht, two different companies.  His first play was Tema para Veronica, which was a hit in the early 1980’s.  The play Manteca premiered in 1993, it dealt with changes occurring with Cuba’s socioeconomic conditions. The main objective was dialogue, he wrote the play in octo-syllables, or meters that comes close to it.

            The main roadblocks with the research is that much of the information found is in Spanish.  Considering the few sites I find on Torriente and Manteca, I do not believe that he is well known, at least to Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment